Tuesday, December 24, 2013

WinPython, a portable scientific Python distribution for Windows(32&64bit)

Following my recent post on a free open-source 64-bit Python distribution for Windows, I was able to create the project (WinPython, "a portable scientific Python distribution for Windows") and write some code to generate a portable Python distribution from scratch (actually from existing distutils packages).

I've just uploaded WinPython v2.7.3.0beta2 for both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows platforms.

WinPython has its SourceForge project and everything is ready for downloads, discussions, bug reports and feature requests.

Enjoy! (I hope)

4 comments:

  1. I tried WinPython and it worked great. Actually I have a kind of getting-started-with-python guide for scientists who are not programmers - http://sjbyrnes.com/?page_id=67 - I edited it to endorse WinPython.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I switched to using WinPython after campus MATLAB licence keeps expiring on me one too many times. It's perfect! Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, more than 2 years later, I want to thank you!

    Thanks to your great ideas and work (and many others too), I was able to solve a problem in two days of interactive work (google some examples, cut, paste, edit, try, catch, repeat...) in iPhyton, in a portable win python usb.

    ReplyDelete